Grand Unification Theory

Thoughts and Ramblings in this Twenty-First Century Broken World

Thursday, November 03, 2005

I was reminded by a Friend's Blog that 3 years ago today she lost her mother. I got to know Liz a few years earlier and waited with high anticipation to the few trips I would make to visit her among the hills by the river in south-east Ohio.

To begin with the drive always left me breathless. One reason the beauty and the other the curves and scary cliffs that one drove under driving down Rt 7.

Liz lived in this big ole house that made one feel right at home the minute you walked in the door. One could sit down in the formal living room and sift through the old back issues of several decorating magazines then move into the dining room where she in her own special way taught us to play canasta then back to her kitchen for a warm pineapple tart but don't try to clean up after yourself.

I sometimes envy Jennie and the freedom she now has without parents but then quickly come to my senses that parents are special (d'uh) and not having them in your daily life must suck most of the time.

So my thoughts go out to Jennie and the rest of her family but then again Liz would be the 1st to say yea yea think a nice thought and get one with it!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:46 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said…

    Hey Shannon,

    You got that "Yeah Yeah" part right...
    and remember, "Everything happens for a reason!"

    Thanks for a different "Liz" perspective. I enjoyed those big visits and miss them often. I miss the feel of a big house warm with people and baking. I hope I can recreate that sense this year, somehow.

    Love n hugs.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home