Grand Unification Theory

Thoughts and Ramblings in this Twenty-First Century Broken World

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Partial Posts

Here are a few posts I started to write and never finished. Perhaps putting them out here in their uncompleted forms will guilt me into writing more:

Change is inevitable. The weather changes minute by minute as the pull of the moon changes as it moves around the earth and the earth changes place and moves around the sun. We grow older second by second in a dance that began when we born and we groove to the day that our heart changes and stops beating. Even seemingly constant things like mountains change as the waters of rivers grind them into valleys.

So with all this change why do we as humans seem so surprised when it happens to us? Perhaps its human nature to think that change won’t happen to us just like disease and death and other changes that can seem bad; they only happen to others. A mistaken though process is ever there was one.
The last few months have been full of change for me.


As the days of summer are way too quickly flying by, I have come to realize that for as fast as time seems to pass us by, that I really am a lucky guy in many, many ways. It started out about 39 years ago when I was born to parents who like most people of their generation wanted to give their children all the things that they themselves never had. Both of my parents were born in 1943 during WWII. By definition neither are baby boomers but they shared many of the characteristics that the Boomers have, including the one of spoiling their children with all the material gifts that they did not have. My mother still tells of getting maybe an orange and new dress for Christmas and not much else. I on the other hand always got every gift on my Christmas list and also almost anything else my little child heart desired. So overall I had a good childhood. There were rough patchs


For all of its faults the movie Threesome asked a question that I too have pondered at some points in my life. I just sat through most of it on the LOGO network. It has been years since I had seen it so I gave it a chance. For those who have not seen it the basic story line is set in college and goes girl loves gay guy, gay guy loved straight guy and straight guy love girl. They attempt to create some kind of “threesome” but eventually it falls apart as people move on. The great question comes near the end of the movie as one of the characters voiceover soliloquy tries to sum up the movie ala The Breakfast Club and so many teen angst movies of the 80’s attempted to do. He asks how someone can be such an important part of your life one day and then the next be gone.

This question came into play for me this summer as I received word of my upcoming 20th high school reunion. If my memory is in tact (which sometimes I question), for the most part, my high school days were spent in a few ways. The first was just hanging out by myself. This I figure is how I spent probably 50 percent of my time. Another 25 percent was spent in the company of fellow band, orchestra and youth symphony people. This may seem like a huge percentage but I was in the Jazz Band at school which I think practiced 2 days a week after school and in the local youth orchestra which practiced one night a week. The other 25 percent would have been spent split between my few best friends and the larger group (not made up of the smaller group) of people I hung out with.
My junior and senior years my best friends were Nina, a fellow classmate, her older sister Dianne and a guy one year my and Nina’s junior name Michael. Michael and I hung out the most closely followed by Nina

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home