Grand Unification Theory

Thoughts and Ramblings in this Twenty-First Century Broken World

Friday, December 16, 2005

I Love Lucy and The Bible....

SO much to learn...

Driving home, listening to The World on on PRI (NPR's sister) I heard a story that caught my attention and took me to several continents and times.

It seems that tomorrow is St Lazarus day in the Catholic lexicon. The story was broadcast from Cuba where there is a huge shine to St. Lazarus that people to flock to, many on their hands and knees (in someway to honor him (some even tie concrete to their legs to make it harder to crawl.))

This led to a discussion of Babalu who is an African god broght to Cuba who many believ was Lazarus (yes the same one brought back to Life By Jesus Christ and imortalized in a song by Cuban in the 30's, "Babalu" (the name of the spirit/god).

Of course middle America became aware of this spirt by watching "I Love Lucy" in the 50s and watching Ricky sing the now infamous "Babalu."

The story is worth a read a listen.

What a series of useless information I have now!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:34 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said…

    Oh man, I thought I would fall over the first time I caught that Ricky Arnaz thing. Of course my daughter was little, and I had gotten in the habit of calling her my Baby Babaloo, not knowing what I had done. Of course as we know she is a bit of a storm at times so it appears to be appropriate!

    :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home