Grand Unification Theory

Thoughts and Ramblings in this Twenty-First Century Broken World

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Welcome 2006....

So many thoughts fill my mind this week. I am no writer. People around me can so much better weave woods into pictures. I am a good poet. The line is my friend. With that said, my friends’ blogs for the last few days have been filled with beautiful eulogies for the miners killed in WV this week.

I too feel sad for these men and their families but for some reason (maybe my little bit of pessimism that I hold) my mind went elsewhere. I was curious to see some crime statistics so went to the government. Did you know that there were 1.8 million violent crimes committed in the US last year. (Surprised me to be so great, and also was good to see that yes this number is going down year to year.)

So yes I mourn in some way for these men, but still worry more about a world where (just in the US) 1.8 million VIOLENT crimes can occur, where some people would rather see me dead than kiss another man, where I am unable to marry the person I may love and where I could lie on my deathbed and the man I love would legally be kept from seeing me.

Yes these are selfish things but I do have to look out for number 1, don’t I.

So this takes me to Brokeback Mountain. I had the honor of seeing this movie earlier this week.

For those of you looking for a love story that will tug at your heartstrings SEE THIS MOVIE. A love story that goes beyond gender and sexual orientation, SEE THIS MOVIE. For those of you who love beautiful scenery and secretly long to ride the mountains and live in nature, SEE THIS MOVIE. For those of you who like to flip off the mainstream SEE THIS MOVIE. For those of you who want to see a miraculous acting job by hunky Heath Ledger SEE THIS MOVIE. For those of you that just need a good cry, SEE THIS MOVIE.

So SEE THIS MOVIE.

I think it may help change the world in some small way.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:21 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said…

    So, what exactly are you SAYING, Shannon?

    Yes, Brokeback is on the list, along with Munich. Any chance you'd see BBM again?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home