Grand Unification Theory

Thoughts and Ramblings in this Twenty-First Century Broken World

Saturday, November 12, 2005

A-bombs and Las Vegas

I spent the evening last with a few friends, eating and drinking at the Great Lakes Brewery celebrating the 40th birthday of my friend Jen. She is the 2nd of my friends to turn 40 and will soon be followed by others and finally me.

Most of my really good friends are older than than me. I am not sure if this is a reflection of I being more mature for my age or their lack of maturity (I love you all), but alas I am typically the young one so when I turn 37 next month that gives me a few years to gloat to those already 40.

AS I was driving south on I-71 this morning, listening to NPR (my favorite thing to listen to in the car) there was a story about a new documentary showing on PBS next week about Las Vegas. Well I have become fully entagling in gambling and Las Vegas over the last two years. (More later)

One of the points the documentary shows is how the Atomic Bomb tests of the 40's and 50's gave Las Vegas a reason for being. The people of the area could celebrate their little piece of helping the battle of the cold war by partying through the night to watch the A-bomb go off only 65 miles away.

Well timing is everything as just last night while eating and drinking we were talking about a newer friend of Jen's and now a new friend of mine, Jim's documentary about Atomic research right here in our own state of Ohio.

Conversations always seem to have a life of their own and always come back around again.

That's the way of the universe.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said…

    Well, I must say, I was starting to warm up to the whole Vegas thing, at least at the essential level of curiosity, but, now that I've seen Jim's movie, Of Ashes and Atoms, I have to see Vegas. It is pretty darn amazing that watching that big ol' mushroom rise up from the desert was a source of frivolity. I am convinced that the reason we are all so glum is that we all pay too damn much attention!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home