Grand Unification Theory

Thoughts and Ramblings in this Twenty-First Century Broken World

Monday, May 15, 2006

GUT: An overview...

A theory that ties all forces of nature together, from the micro to the macro, this is the basic definition of the Grand Unified Theory.  But I think it may go far beyond physics and gravity and the speed of light.

I have been called a Hindu on more that one occasion. I don’t like to pigeon-hole myself with too many labels and since I don’t believe in any kinds of deity, I like this idea of the Grand Unified Theory as “religion.”  It all starts with the “Golden Rule” of treating others as you would like to be treated.  From there it bubbles up through a layer of what you do today will impact something or someone somewhere at some time.  

Now don’t get the idea that I sit and worry about a decision and wonder how it will affect the amount of the blueberry crop in North Carolina this year, but I do believe that if I decide to say hello to someone I pass on the street that I have affected that person in a positive way and who knows maybe they will do something good in the future in part due to my salutation.

I think where my theory might fail though is I don’t as easily follow it through to the negative end.  That same person I don’t say hello too may end up doing something bad because I didn’t give them that moment of my day.

So where does this leave us in the grand unified theory of EVERYTHING.  Not sure but I will still say hello to a stranger and hold the door open for the person behind me and throw a few  extra bucks into the pot when out with dinner with friends because I never know when that person might be beside me at a blackjack table and they take they 10 that would have busted me and instead I get the 9 which gives me 21 and wins me a bit of money.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:18 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said…

    Well, that's an instructive little post Shannon. I generally agree, and even if I get nothing back, which you know has happened on more than one occasion, being fair and kind and generous is the thing to do because it's the right thing to do. Treat others the way you wish to be treated, regardless of their capacity to do the same.

    But I did notice you ended up back at the blackjack table. It aaalllll goes back to gambling, doesn't it?! lol...;-)

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said…

    I just read this and realized that, what you're saying is, you actually think about the consequences of your actions. WHY CAN'T MORE PEOPLE DO THAT?!!!

    Sorry, it
    s been a week.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home