Grand Unification Theory

Thoughts and Ramblings in this Twenty-First Century Broken World

Monday, March 27, 2006

Pond Cleaning 2006

We’ll get back to the history of my musical memories later for now I want to tell you about my weekend.

I and Jen and Lynne of traveled to Nashville TN to help my friend Jen’s sister, Anne, and her husband, Mike, clean their goldfish pond.

I came away from the weekend with several positives some known and some surprising to me.

One of the non-surprising things is how much fun I had… my extended “family” is full of fun, smart, witty people who always have fun when we get together. Whether it’s just chatting in the AM when we got up (OK maybe discussing abortion at 6 am on a Saturday morning is a bit much) or adding to the running joke pile or laughing at yet another version of “Heard it Through the Grapevine” came on in the 276 song mix that Anne (Jen’s sister) had made with her music and many of my own mixes.

Another plus of the weekend was just seeing Anne and her husband Mike and their daughter. Anne and I were on opposite fringes of a group of friends in college so I knew her a bit and our paths had crossed a few times in the past so it was nice to spend quality time in their ultra-comfortable home.

Then there were the animals… puppies and a dog and a couple of cats and the fish…. What more could you want.

I think for me the most surprising thing I came away with was a feeling I got on Saturday afternoon, sitting outside in the chilly air watching everyone mill around some stoking the fire in the chiminea, some snacking on the voluminous munchies and others just watching the leaves move in the trees…

A feeling of peace and happiness filled me and thoughts of community and family made me feel less chilly. I usually don’t do well in a group of about more that 5 people but as I sat and watching the milling and the animals and the chaos of the afternoon I realized I liked it and wished it could last. This is the 1st time I had, in a long time, really felt that it would be nice to be part of a large family/friend group, living communally with lots of nature and love to keep us all nourished.

So thank you Anne and Mike for once again helping me feel those long lost feelings.

Here is a link to the pics I took uploaded to Flickr.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said…

    Well said, Shannon. You have brought JOY JOY JOY to our family and we are lucky you've become a part of it. Proving once again you have a high tolerance for pain, but, nonetheless, we're glad you put up with us.

    And I'm already making a list of songs for next year -- which one will be THE 30-version winner?

    Hugs--MM

    LOL, PS--my word verify is, "oohdfee" -- what does that MEAN?!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home