Grand Unification Theory

Thoughts and Ramblings in this Twenty-First Century Broken World

Monday, June 19, 2006

The Outer Banks of North Carolina, A Small Tribute





The Outer Banks of North Carolina have become part of me. My friends, in various configurations, and I have vacationed on the Outer Banks 4 times. Jen and her family went there for many times when she was a young one and not so young.

Once I became a gambler and fell in love with as Vegas, the Atlantic Ocean took a back seat. However I saw some commercial last week that had to be filmed on the Outer Banks and it set my heart aflutter for that feeling of being at the beach.

Here is a house I found that would be perfect. So I think I will try to get some to go next year. If not NC then perhaps I’ll hit Rehoboth Beach in DE. My friend Jim has been there and says it’s a nice place (and gay friendly too).

Part of what I like about vacationing I have determined is planning for them. To some extent when I take on cruise director mode for Vegas, it annoys the people I go with a bit. There fore when you are planning for a week (or more) on the outer banks, there is lots of planning to do and it must start almost a year in advance.

I do miss that salt air and the laid back attitude one gets as you are out about whether its on the beach or at some food place. And sitting in the hot tub watvhing the waves crash on the beach is also very nice.

Wanna go?

1 Comments:

  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said…

    Hey Shannon,

    I've been missing the shore, the long days of repose, the special time spent with friends and family. I hope those days are not over for me entirely. I surely miss being able to give my children the very same experience of wonder I had as a kid when my folks took us down there year after year.

    I also enjoy the planning aspect -- it's at least half the fun. Remember the lists and the realization that yes, we could actually buy toilet paper at the Kmart in Kill Devil Hills?!

    Now I am passing the torch: Son of Mando did a fine job selecting our location and some activities for a brief getaway next month. Whether it's a day or a week, it's the time with loved ones that matters.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home